This article goes through the steps required to start up a window cleaning business and become a good window cleaner. You will learn about the different choices for window cleaning and you will also learn about the importance of training and practice. The rest is up to you
- Why Start A Window Cleaning Business?
- You first have to decide that you want to start your own business? Many people start businesses for a different number of reasons such as recently been made redundant. Some people just get to a stage in their lives where they want a change from what they have been doing for years. Other people like the idea of being their own boss and in control of the business. Now that you have made your decision you have to decide on the type of business you are planning to tackle. This article will go through some of the steps required for the starting up of a window cleaning business so you can become an expert window cleaner.
- As with all new businesses you will have to set what your budget will be. You can use your redundancy money if you are lucky to have any or you can go to the bank for a business loan. If you do need a loan from the bank you will need to bring with you a business plan. With your budget determined you can now go shopping for the relevant equipment required.
- Which window cleaning method do you choose?
- There are two main methods of window cleaning you can choose from and your current circumstances may help you with your choice.
- Traditional method. This type of window cleaning is the method that has been used for generations of window cleaners. It does not require much in the way of initial financial investment and therefore is not a big risk. It does however require you to have little or no fear of heights. The main equipment you will require is a ladder, a squeegee, a washer applicator and a bucket. The applicator is used to apply the window cleaning solution to the window and the squeegee will remove the dirt along with the solution. The main restriction for this method is the height of your ladders or how high you are willing to go up!!!!!!
- The second method you can use is commonly known as the “Water Fed Pole System”. This method uses a telescopic pole with a brush on the top of it where water is fed through the brush. The brush, along with the help of the water, is maneuvred around the window cleaning as it goes. No chemical solutions are used while cleaning the windows in this way. The water used is not ordinary water from the tap but it is purified water. There are more than one method of obtaining purified water and I will go through this in a separate article. This method requires a level of skill to produce the purified water and also a financial investment in the equipment required to produce it. You will also require a method of carrying your water from job to job and the size of the tank will be determined by the amount and type of customers you intend to engage with. Be careful that you purchase a specialised baffled tank that is designed to carry liquids while in transit because it is potentially very dangerous to carry large quantities of liquid in the back of a van. You may also have to check with your insurance company that you are insured to carry liquids.
- One item that you will require for your business is a van. Depending on which method you choose to clean your windows will determine the size the van you will need. If you choose the “Water Fed Pole System” you will obviously require a larger van than if you have chosen the traditional method
- Choose your type of customer
- From the start, it is wise to choose what your target market is going to consist of. If you are going to use the traditional method of window cleaning you may want to stay within the domestic market and only do houses. Some window cleaners are quite content with just confining themselves to this market. If you are thinking about starting with a domestic round and at some point in the future adding commercial buildings to your round you must choose the “Water Fed Pole System” from the outset of the business. If you don’t you will find yourself having to purchase all of the associated equipment required. The telescopic poles used in the “Water Fed Pole System” come in various lengths so you will have to purchase the length of pole to suit your target market. Some poles can reach windows up to a height of 65-70ft.
- Everyone thinks that window cleaning is as easy as getting the suitable equipment required and going to work. Although window cleaning is not a very complicated skill, it does however, require the knowledge to carry out the job properly.You may be lucky enough to be near a location that runs the few training courses that are out there and book yourself in. If not, you will have to learn the process through information obtained online.
- Get started
- Now you have all of the equipment and the practice all you need now are customers. You can have a website built or you can just distribute flyers or advertise locally. But most of all when you are called to clean windows do it right first time. A business such as window cleaning will have a lot of word of mouth and people do talk. If you are a bad window cleaner your business will suffer. You can find out more information on our window cleaning page.
- Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am a professional cleaner with over 10yrs experience in cleaning within several disciplines. I am the owner of Complete Services Ireland that offers a range of cleaning services such as carpet cleaning, window cleaning, oven cleaning and full house deep cleaning. We also are capable of repairing domestic appliances like washing machines, cookers, ovens and tumble dryers.